Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tis the season for Banana Bread!

I woke up this morning pretty early...and it was raining.  So--to brighten up the house, I decided to take the bananas that are far too ripe for anyone in this house to eat and whip up a banana bread for breakfast.

Mother/Wife of the year award!

As you know, I take recipes that are not gluten free, and convert them.  This is no different.  I got this recipe from allrecipes.com.   http://allrecipes.com/recipe/janets-rich-banana-bread/

I can't endorse the recipe by itself, as I have never tried it, but it does have five stars, so I am sure it is delicious.

 Ingredients you will need: butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, gluten free flour mix (I use wendy wark's), baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder, sour cream, lemon juice, xanthan gum, bananas, and mini chocolate chips if you so desire.

First - you will cream your butter and sugar in a big mixing bowl.  I use my old trusty kitchen aid.  After it is good and creamy, add your eggs, vanilla and lemon juice.  During the creaming process, you can mix all your other dry ingredients.

                                            


                                            

 I just use a fork to mix the ingredients a bit.  After lightly mixed, pour into the butter mixture.  It will get pretty dry, and you will wonder if you made a mistake.  No worries!  You aren't done yet.
 Add the mashed up bananas and sour cream, until it is fully incorporated.

                                           


                                           
 After that, if you so desire, you can add about a half cup of mini chocolate chips into the batter, and transfer to a greased 8x4 inch loaf pan, and stick in a preheated 350 degree oven for about an hour.

 During this hour, you home will fill with a wonderful smell, and you will salivate at the thought of sinking your teeth into a delicious bite of that bread.

You will want to make sure the bread is fully cooked before taking it out of the oven...cause if you don't it will fall in the middle.  I usually turn off my oven and let my bread or cakes sit in the oven for a minute or two before taking it out, just to make sure it is done.

Here is the final product!  Yummy banana bread for you to enjoy!

Here is the recipe -

Gluten Free Banana Bread

1/2 cup butter, softened - if you want to make it dairy free--you can always just use shortening.
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix (Wendy Wark's)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup sour cream
2 very ripe bananas (mashed)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8x4 inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, mix the softened butter and sugar til well combined and fluffy.  Add the eggs, vanilla and lemon juice.  Mix well.  Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder and xanthan gum, mix into the butter mixture until smooth.  Fold in the mashed bananas and sour cream by hand until well combined.  Spread evenly into the loan pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.  Cool loaf in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy! and let me know how it turned out!

Sasha






No comments:

Post a Comment