Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Chewy Brownie Cookies

So, I like a challenge.  There are plenty of gluten free cook books out there that have plenty of already gluten free recipes in them.  But that doesn't satisfy my needs!  So...I often take recipes that are NOT gluten free, and convert them.

I found this recipe, while following a group of friends on facebook.
http://pinterest.com/pin/86764730292438525/

My first thought was...that could EASILY be converted to gluten free...and guess what, it was!

 
My son Josh enjoying the cookies with some milk right out of the oven.

I know a lot of bloggers post all the pictures of the ingredients while they are baking it, but since this is my first actual recipe I am posting, and I just got this idea YESTERDAY to make a blog, you will have to just believe me, that I did make the cookies.

Ok--so I changed somethings, obviously, from the recipe above...

My recipe is as follows :

Gluten Free Brownie Cookies

1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup butter (now, if you can't have dairy, just keep it all shortening..I like the idea of having butter in my cookies)
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla (make sure it is gluten free.  I use McCormick because it is clearly labeled GF)
1 tablespoon milk (now, you can use water like the recipe, or you could use almond milk if you are dairy intolerant)

Here is where it gets a bit tricky -

I made my version with protein powder...
1 scoop protein powder - dump it into a 1 cup measuring cup (is that grammatically correct?)
Fill the rest of that 1 cup measuring cup with Wendy Wark's gluten free mix (or whatever gluten free mix you like). If you do not want to use protein powder, just do one cup of gluten free mix

1/4 cup almond flour (remember, I make my own, so it is not finely ground, but I can't feel the almonds when eating the cookie)
1/4 cup coconut flour

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder - I just use hershey
1/2 tsp baking soda - sometimes GF products need a bit more help with leavening
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups milk chocolate chips (I use ghirardelli chips.  If you want dairy free, you can buy semi-sweet ghiradelli brand and there is no dairy.  Always check the labels though, in case they have changed something).

Directions -
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  I like to bake cookies and cakes at 350, not 375.

 2. Beat shortening, butter and sugar with mixer until smooth.  I use a kitchenaid mixer.  Add one egg.  Then add the other with the milk and the vanilla.  I usually mix my flour while butter and sugars are mixing..so do that.  Pour the dry ingredients into the wet till blended. I have a great spatula that I use to fully mix my dough and batter, so I mix it around more after I put in the two cups of chocolate chips.
3. I use parchment paper on my cookie sheet.  I usually roll my cookies in a ball in my hands and put them on the sheet.  Depending on the size of your cookie, bake 10-18 minutes.  Bake until they are set and then cool on a wire rack.

Eat with milk...whatever variety you like, dairy, almond, soy etc.

The cookies will be sticky when you put them on the cookie sheets.  They will be thicker consistency than brownies, but not as thick as chocolate chip cookies.  It is just the added bonus of getting to lick your hands after you are done.

I happened to run upstairs while my first batch was baking, and came down to this gem -


Seems Josh got into the cookie dough a bit.

Let me know if you have any questions - and more importantly, how yours turned out!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm excited that you started a blog. Woo hoo! This brownie cookie sounds deeelicious, and I'll be sure to make it and let you know how it worked out. Mine will probably be a little different, since I have to use either Ener-G egg replacer, or flax meal replacer. And I don't have any good shortening on hand, but I have Earth Balance soy free margarine and I love it. Anyways, thanks so much for sharing your recipes and expertise on GF cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just use crisco--but I use earth balance for some items as well. My niece is casein intolerant, so I alter my goodies if it is possible, for her when the family gets together.

    I am sure the Ener-G egg replacer will be fine. I have read somewhere...and it may not be true, but too much flax can be hard on the body, so I don't really do anything with that.

    ReplyDelete